3/07/2010

Where did I leave those Sunglasses?

Short Term vs Long Term Memory. Over the length of my life, I have probably been more of 1/4 inch deep and a mile wide kind of guy rather than a Doctorate in one subject. I think that by reading a lot of books as a student, I acquired a wider range of information. I will be the first to admit that there are categories in Jeopardy that I often know nothing. More often than not, I know a little about a lot of categories and can't find my damn sunglasses. I have worked out systems to keep me in glasses and keys. I have one of those dishes on my dresser that holds my keys, my change and my keys.

As I age, and yes I am on the other side of 62, I find that unless I really try to remember, I just don't put things in a place where they re-appear at will with ease. Mom has been in a Nursing home near Tulsa and they have a problem with patients escaping. They have a lock on the door and give you the code written down on a small slip of paper. Over the three days were were there, I found that I had to get the paper out and re-read the code each time I left. I remember long stretches of my time in Vietnam and yet a simple 4 digit code eludes me.

I think that anyone that has spent much time near older people in a nursing home setting have witnessed this. They remember their time as a small child and forget what they had for dinner. I was often amazed that each time my Dad went into the VA in pretty severe condition he wouldn't remember long stretches of time there.

Last night, I watched the Des Moines Auto auction of the "Late Great Muscle Cars." If you ever wanted to re-create your younger years by owning a classic, now's the time. Cars that would have sold for 40 or 50 thousand dollars were selling for around 20 thousand. A silver medalist 1962 Chevy car with a 409 Chevy engine went for a lot less. That car had been featured in the Classic Chevy Magazine last year and the owners must have taken at least a 50% loss. I think the high seller was a 1938 Studebaker Truck with a Hemi engine for about $39,000. One guy with a wad of cash and his son in tow bought a bunch of the cars. A tricked out 75 Corvette didn't bring $8,000.

I would tell you what the name of the auction was but it wasn't stored in my short term memory.

MUD

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, MUD. I'm only 50, but experiencing a good bit of that already.

    I can remember stuff from high school...I can remember almost specific dates of ball games, concerts, first date with my wife, etc. But I truly can not tell you what I had for dinner last night.

    I know what I'm having today, because I'm helping prepare it with Pam (off and on). But, I will likely not remember tomorrow.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those mid-1970s Corvettes can be had for a song right now. So can the 1980s models.

    I know that losing your keys and stuff must be frustrating, but I have the reverse problem. I remember where everything is. I cannot be late for anything because the old, "Sorry I'm late, I lost my keys" thing doesn't work for me. Everyone that knows me also knows that I do not lose anything. Dang it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A simple explanation for short term memory loss: The Brain is like the gas tank on your car. It can only hold so much knowledge and your car can only hold so much gas. (gas or knowledge) When you fill them up to capacity the excess spills out. The brain is just like your car the last you put in is the first to spill out. Now Mud & Andy have filled their tank, but paul mitchel still has room to add more. So Mud & Andy, add some and spill some, you still have a full tank to drive on.

    ReplyDelete