5/01/2010

Asparagus Day

Mom, Myrna, Carol, Bessie and Earl, The Petty's

A few years back, I mentioned to Barb that my grandmother grew asparagus and in the spring we would wind up with it on the Sunday table. Barb ordered some plants from a green house and we have been on the receiving end every since. On her walks she gathers individual stick and puts them in a glass by the sink. Today will be asparagus day here at Rabbit Run.

For some reason I find that I love an omelet with fresh asparagus pieces cooked in. At one time I was a Ham and two eggs over easy but I am slowly coming around to the throw everything in the omelet kind of guy. With asparagus so abundant why not?

The lunch will be a soup with a base of celery soup, onions and a diced potato. Add the asparagus pieced to that and you will have a green "spargel" soup. The Germans would make it with the yellow asparagus (Spargel) but that stuffs far from free and not available here as fresh. I could grow my own but just don't have the time and energy to make it happen. In Germany this time of year you would see acres of little plastic frame tents that would get filled with straw and keep the asparagus yellow.

If there is any left, I think a grilled asparagus would accompany a nice grilled piece of meat for supper.

OK Boys and Girls, did you gain five pounds just reading that? I'll bet I had to swallow a quart of excess saliva just thinking about the wonderful meals.

I want to thank everyone for the kind condolence words about our loss of our mother. She was truly the matriarch of the family and set a pretty high standard for the young women in the family. As I look at them, I see things in them that remind me of Mom. The eyes, the smile, the love and in many cases the joy of singing. At different stages in Mom's life, I see different things. It would be sad if I started to tell you what it is about the girls I now see mother in. I would hate to leave someone out and make them feel bad. I'm sure that mother loved them all and I will do my best to carry on that tradition.

I want to tell you a story that mom told me one day. During the depression there was not a lot of great things to eat. Seems like they suffered from different meals of Beans and taters. One summer night they were out on the back porch eating and their neighbor shouted, "Beans and taters, taters and beans! Seems like all we ever have to eat is beans and taters!" Just for the record I love beans and I love taters. I will smile every time I have a big old bowl of either in memory of my mother.

Going over to the lake to see Jenn and Austin.

Write if you get work.

MUD

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for you loss, MUD, but so glad to hear that your mother will remain alive in your heart and in the faces of the people you love. I'm sure your family can see her in you, too. Your love and kindness will keep her alive in their hearts as well. You know someone has lived a good life when they can be remembered with fondness and laughter instead of only tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dennis! Oh man...my beloved Pam's Mom, and her 7 siblings grew up on the plains of Oklahoma in the "Dust Bowl" days. Some of them are still with us in this veil of tears.

    Uncle Grant will NOT eat beans! He told me once that when he was a child, he determined in his mind that if he could ever afford anything else, he'd never eat another one.

    But, I'm with you, my friend. I love beans and taters. I eat them at least twice a week. But, I will NEVER eat "Hamburger Helper" again. Long story...

    I'm so happy for you that you can get a big smile on your mug when you think about your Momma. Not everyone can.

    Dennis, I wish I really could express to you, Barb, and the kids, grandkids, etc. my sympathies. But, "words" don't really work. So, I will just shut up and go eat some beans and 'taters...and go find a Kleenex box.

    ReplyDelete