8/02/2012

Ain't Life Great?

This morning, for the first time in a long time, I agree with an editorial in the paper.  Our Country was founded based on freedom of religion.  If the Chick-Fil-A owner wants to express his beliefs and support whatever causes he chooses, who the hell are we to be intolerant of that?  I personally don't care what people do and either eat there or don't.  I am not fond of the whole biscuit and chicken deal, but I don't like waffles and fried chicken either.  My kind of meal is fried Popeye's spicy chicken, okra and a side of red beans and rice.  My drink is unsweetened ice tea, but I sure as heck wouldn't want you to boycott anyone because of my likes or dislikes.  In fact, I am kind of intolerant of intolerance.  (Is that possible?)  I am allergic to the cottonseed margarine a lot of places like Popeye's uses on their biscuits.

For my 65th Birthday, Barb took me to Bentonville, AR to visit the Crystal Bridges American Art Museum.  I can't even begin to tell you how great the whole birthday treat was this year.  In addition to seeing one of the finest collections of American Art, it is housed in a spectacular building that one of my best friends was at least partially responsible for.   My first and lifelong friend, Harvey Blinn, spent three years in Bentonville as a one of the superintendents on that job and I know that his attention to detail is right there for everyone to see. In addition to the museum tour, we spend the evening with my niece Becc and had a great time visiting.   She and Bill live in northern Rogers and their street leads to Easy street and a park with over 7 miles of bike/walking trails.  It was such a treat to get up early and ride. We took our bikes as a test for the trip to Gulf Shores.


In the latest Mother Earth news, there was a quote that said we don't quit sports because we get old, we get old because we quit sports.  I think that riding three or four times a week has put the smile back in my life and I sure do feel better.  I know that the Doctor in April put the fear in my life when he said I was borderline pre-diabetic and I know that I need to keep busy or I could easily fall into that mode.  It runs in my family and I don't want to go there.


One nice treat was that my cousin Jim Petty from Phoenix called me last night to wish me a Happy Birthday.  He is about 6 months older than I am but he is delaying his retirement, Social security and Medicare enrollment to work a couple more years.  He said he needs to work to his 67th Birthday to be vested in the retirement system where he works.  Seems like a smart thing to me. Jim told me that he told his minister that he has been thinking a lot about the hereafter.  The minister said that was good, then Jim told him not death, but when he goes into a new room he thinks - "What am I here after." On the other hand, Barb and I did a net present value of our waiting to 65 to retire and found it was possible to take the early option and enjoy as much of our retirement time as we could.  We are!


This morning about 6:30 I woke up by a strange sound.  There was thunder and lightening with the sound or rain.  It has been so dry here that I almost didn't recognize the sound of rain falling.  You might think that after being in Vietnam for a Monsoon season I would know what every kind of rain sounds like.  I guess it has been a long time (40+ years) and I forget.  


Better close here and tell all of you to support your causes but remember that intolerance of other's rights can be a wrong!


MUD

No comments:

Post a Comment