8/18/2012

Shhh Dennis, You are raising your Voice!

I consider myself nearer to the middle of the road in my beliefs.  I much rather would stand for something than have people think I have no position.  I think that a Decorated Veteran deserves the right to raise his voice and stand for his side some.  Perhaps I am a little more right on the bell curve but not extreme.  I think there should be some Government but not to the extent that it intrudes into every aspect of my life.  Laws, rules and regulations should smooth out some of the bumps in the road not pave it smooth for everyone.  A good way to say it is what I saw the other day - America stands for equal opportunity not equal outcomes.  

I think the idea of guns in the hands of the citizens is symbolic to Americans.  We won't let any government trample on us even though we have some of the most freedom.  The gun is the symbol of a citizenry that cares.  If there is a shortcoming right now it is shown by the apathy of people.

I think it is great that people are vocal about supporting their candidates.  What I don't like is when people simply repeat lies told by the press or politicians.   For example - Does anyone think that no matter how extreme either party is painted, that Social Security will be changed significantly for those currently on it?   By the same token,  offering a program to change it is a good starting place for a discussion.  Not end the discussion, just start it.  The old saying of - "Do what you did and you will get what you got." is a lot like the saying a "Tiger won't change his stripes."  I listened when Candidate Obama said so many bad things about Bush and offered to open a whole new breath of fresh air that would help bring prosperity and peace to the world.  He continues to blame everything on Bush and find a lot of things to talk about without facing the reality that he has performed worse for the economy than Jimmy Carter.  

With that said, do I really want the Government to be responsible for the economy?  Do I really want to paint it all one color?  No, of course not.  Government should bump things a little now and then but mostly stay out of the way and make it a good place for people to work.  Watch the move Dave and listen to what he says late in the movie.   "Have you ever seen the face of someone that just got a job?  They are on fire and feel like they can whip the world into shape."   Compare that with the idea of getting a welfare check.  Getting just enough to survive is no way to motivate people. Extending unemployment is nothing like getting people ready for a better job.

I wish the whole world could take the Leadership lesson I taught at the Kansas Military Academy.  I tried to use lessons learned to make people understand the difference in Leadership that motivates people and leadership that only tries to not dissatisfy.   I think a program that trains people for a better job are hundreds of dollars better than programs that just house and feed people.  Listen carefully, I do think there needs to be  a minimum level of support for people that have been tripped up by the poor economy.  With that said, I think that having goals and a way out is a lot more important than a place to live.  I sure as hell wouldn't pile all the people in that sinking boat into some public housing that paints them as poor with one paint brush. The government owns so many houses out there in our communities that a program to maintain these homes should be an part of the answer.  A person that once owned a home might be a better person to live in a house than it sitting vacant.  

My brand of leadership included talking with as many people as I could and ensuring that they knew that I wanted them to know their job and to do  good as the could at what they did.  I looked for programs that recognized good work not just punish the mistakes.  I think it is a hell of a lot better to look for points of light rather than work for zero defects.   I think a boss that talks about realistic goals will motivate and telling people to never make mistakes is just a way to stifle that creative individualism.  Also I always tell leaders to praise in public and punish in private.  

The final point I make is that making a mistake is not the end of things.  We all make them and living past them is a normal thing.  The thing that most systems won't tolerate is telling lies to cover up a mistake.  There is room for mitigation after the punishment is doled out but never in the fact finding phase.  

MUD   

No comments:

Post a Comment