11/17/2012

Your Agenda

At one time, I prepared a daily runner on one day for the next day and fairly planned out my activities to maintain my maximum productivity and that of my employees. I always found that taking a few minutes at the end of a day let me think about things in a non rushed manner.  Once I stopped drinking, rushing home for a cold one was not a thing I did.   Now days, not so much.   I don't spend a lot of time invested in productivity maximization.  In fact it has kind of slipped to my lists of, "Things I need to do, things I want to do" and the final list of  "If I get around to it."

The discussion starts with a gentle prodding by the wife of, "What's on your agenda today."   Being part Scots/Irish  I am never at a complete loss for an answer but seldom can put together a complete daily itinerary off the cuff.  It is not being evasive, just most of the time my best answer is the first things that come to mind. 

Next week I will be responsible for cooking most of the main items on the menu.  I have a general thought process for what to do and when to do it.   I call it the military tent form of planning.  I look for the longest pole in the tent and that is the first thing started.  For those of you that have put up a military tent, you know that one of the first things you do is to lay it out on the ground and put stakes around the perimeter.  That to me is the trip to the grocery store where I tried to remember what I was making and what I needed to make it.   I do find it better to go to the store after I eat something and have prepared a list.

I will watch the weather and if it looks like Wednesday will be a good day, I may smoke the turkey.  If so, I will need to brine and defrost the turkey Tuesday night.  I will put it in the Weber grill and keep adding charcoal and wood to keep the temperature up and the smoke adequate.  After cooking the turkey, I will put it in one of those oven bags and put it in the fridge overnight.  I like to have the smoke taste permeate the entire bird and there are things in the Fridge that I don't want to taste smokey.  The next morning I will carve the turkey and put it in a serving pan with some chicken stock to reheat prior to lunch.

Just so you will know, I always try to write on the blog early in the day.  After a cuppa coffee or two, I just feel like writing to stay in the game.  Oh well, Write on the blog, Check the e-mail, go get the paper and read it and then check the trail cam may seem like little to you but it is the start of a day for me.  Have a good one.

MUD




No comments:

Post a Comment