2/24/2013

Mo' Sno'?

Earlier this week we finally got some of that moisture we have been missing.  It fell about three inches an hour for three or four hours.  The good news is that I have a new tractor (to me it is new but it was used)  and I was able to make short work of clearing the driveway, Dave's driveway and the drive at our rental houses.  In fact other than the twinge in my back it was relatively easy.  Probably the hardest part was driving the three miles over to the rentals in a slight sleet storm.  My glasses iced over and my face was so cold that I was going to stop on my way home but there was nothing open.  They are telling us that another storm is coming tonight and it will have another 8 inches of snow or so.  More fun.

For me, this has been a fun week.  My niece Amy was in town for a Golf Show in Overland Park and we gathered at Carrie and Dan's house to visit.  Amy's mother, Janet, also flew in and when Bob's children showed up the Circus was complete.  Anyone that went home hungry or bored did so because they wanted to.  We even got Dave and Barbara to go with us yesterday and they made the trip worthwhile.

Oh yes, and the hawks put a whipping on TCU in a small part pay back for the loss in Fort Worth.  

Beer-oaks, Bieroacks, cabbage rolls or whatever you call them, are a family tradition we all love.  I think our next door neighbors, the Longhoffers started us down that path years ago.  Art Longhoffer was the first generation German immigrant and his mother made them  as survival food in Oklahoma.  Art's wife, Carrie was a great cook and she brought the first batch into the Petty family.  The basic recipe is Hamburger, onions, cabbage, garlic all cooked together and then baked in a nice roll.  You can add about anything to the mix and as for me I love to throw in some bratwurst meat and sauerkraut.  You do have to be careful to rinse the sauerkraut or it will be too salty.  One friend of mine puts cheese in his but I don't think that is necessary.  I have also noticed that I don't need to have beer to wash them down either.  That is just a bonus.  Art Longhoffer said that as a kid his mother would grow cabbage just to make Kraut.  As the winter went on, the boys would shoot rabbits and his mother would make her kraut rolls with rabbit and kraut. 

As the girls had way more rolls than filling, they wondered what to do with the left over bread.  Dave and I both knew that all you had to do was to tell Barb and cinnamon rolls would be next.  Barb showed our nephew Andrew how they are made.  We have it on good opinion that he is the champion cinnamon roll eater and Barb is a wonderful teacher. All was good.  

On the way home from Kansas City, I asked Dave what he really knew about our family.  He got to know my mother well but beyond that he had little information.  I guess I need to see if I can remember enough family history to bring his knowledge up to speed.  

Turret Envy


MUD





  

2 comments:

  1. I was raised in a Dutch community in west Michigan. Your post brought back the memory of the rolls and great meals the old Grand Mother's would make. After a day in the snow or skating, you knew you were going to eat good that evening!
    Yes, be sure to share that family history. Once we are gone, the history for the most part is gone as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember much about meals at my Dad's mother's house when we were growing up. It didn't matter how many people were there, she cooked one chicken. Our family of 6 could eat a bucket of the Colonel's stuff and want more. The only thing I remember from Grandmother Petty was that she canned stuff from her garden and it was all good.

    ReplyDelete