4/17/2013

Weathering the Weather

Instead of the warm dry weather we have had over the last couple of years, we are in the middle of one of those collisions of a cold and warm front over Kansas.  The good news is that our sub-soil moisture can sure use the additional rain that will fall over the next 48 hours.   What we hope doesn't come with this storm is the hail or tornadoes that Kansas is famous for. 

Joplin after their tornado


Yes, I get the climate versus weather speech from Barbara regularly.  But after 45 years she hasn't given up trying to change me.   You have to give her an A for effort.   In my much younger years, I learned so many things the hard way that it just seems natural to rely on that hard learned knowledge to help me do the right thing.  The problem is that as I age, I find some of that "Lesson Learned"  stuff harder to dredge up to help.  It is kind of like being a kid again and learning lessons the hard way. 

This week, Barbara and I discussed my desire to visit Yellowstone National Park. Yesterday a flier from Road Scholar arrived and there is a week long experience early in August.  The good news is that is right on the heels of a family gathering planned near the first of August.  My Birthday is the 1st and Barb's Mom's birthday is the 2nd.  This is the year her Dad turns 90  and I think they will try to celebrate it all in one fell swoop.  I think there is a party planned for my Uncle, Warren,  in Denver planned for the week prior to that celebrating his 90th Birthday and if possible I will try to get in all of the celebration I can.  

This past week I walked all over Rabbit Run Farm with  Waldo, the Dachshund I was dog sitting.  I found that there a lot of things I need to haul up to the front gate and have hauled off.  I kind of knew they were there but had turned a blind eye to most of it.  There is one Big old red rock that I am sure that Barb would love to have as a centerpiece for one of her gardens.  The rest of the junk is old car and truck parts, some of which was here when we bought the place.  The bad news is that none of it has a lot of value.  I might be able to have it hauled off for the value of the scrap.  (I Hope) 

One thing that is disappointing right now is the lack of good days to ride our bikes.  The one day it got o70 this past week, it was so windy that it would have been a hell of a lot more work than fun to ride.  Barb's back has been out of whack so she isn't in any shape to ride for a few days.  The only good thing about that is the weather won't be nice for a few more days.

Oh well, I hope you can find a place in your life to smile and take a moment to be glad for the things you have.  God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I might and the wisdom to know the difference.   

May you have sunny days and enough wind to turn your turbine

MUD 

No comments:

Post a Comment