5/29/2014

What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?

I saw a T-Shirt the other day that said getting older is mandatory, growing up is optional.  Other than the abnormal aches and pains I have, I don't feel a day over 29.  Someone once told me that they waste being retired on the old because they can't do as much.  They just don't understand that that's the beauty of retirement, you can generally do as much as you want.  I guess the big difference is how well you prepared for retirement financially.

Plans like diapers often need changed.

The other night, I had a discussion with a young man who will be a senior this coming school year.  I asked him what he was going to do after High School?  Not a clue or even a simple idea crossed his mind.  Right now he is working this summer and trying to find the right balance between having enough money and enough fun.  I know that because of Social Security, he has a chance to stay in school and get paid until he is well into his 20's.  I guess I need to sit him down and have a Dutch Uncle talk.  Yes, I know that often kids don't change their behavior without a Significant Emotional Event.  I am not sure I am up to that but I'll give it my best shot.

The wife of a friend of mine said that her retired husband probably won't really retire when she does because of his fear of not having enough to do.  I won't even try to explain that time is like water in a balloon and you can put as much or as little as you want.  Kind of reminds me of the time one of the Nephews was over visiting my mother and told her that he was "Bored."  With out delay she said, "No, you are boring." 

I guess a big part of this whole situation is based on the principle that life is a journey not a destination.  Set you goals on getting to a plateau such as an Associates of Arts and a good job or go for the degree.  Whatever you do, do it in a smart manner.  Work as hard as you can while you do and try to complete your degree with as little debt as possible.  I hated to say, "Do You want fries with that?" but "Paper or Plastic?" was only slightly better. 

This coming weekend I had the opportunity to travel east or west to help people move.  In both cases I re-considered both options and kept my damned mouth shut.   The thought of a couple days on the road and filling a truck with things is just more than I am really up to.  Besides, who would do all the mowing there is to do right here.  I am just waiting for the grass to dry out so I can go hit it with the mower.  Wait, I didn't have that on my life's goal.  Did I.

Can you see the smile from there?
MUD

No comments:

Post a Comment