6/10/2014

Do What You Did, Get what you got!

Many people want the stability of the same old thing over and over.  It is fine if things are going well for you and you like the way you are headed.  Stability isn't a bad thing if you don't have a vision of better things.  Perhaps I should say different things because better is a judgment call and perhaps not the best measure. 

I think the best relationships and marriages are where the couple are somewhat opposite in their view and one wants to change and the other person wants to have a good plan if there is going to be a change.  Barb and I are a lot like that.  She loves to shop and will spend time looking for bargains.  I shop to buy what I need and move on.  I would have a shed full of stuff and she has a bank account full of money.  Wait, that sounds too much like my reality. 

I think that one shortcoming in our educational program is that we don't have a good way to do Field Training Programs for the kids.  The Military has for years conducted training exercises where they exercise their Standard Operating Procedures and train like thy are going to fight.  Perhaps short venues that ask our kids to have a rough idea about running a business would help.  Heck, I hear some kids say they had no idea about budgets and how to best live on what you get paid.  This is food for thought not an action plan.

Speaking of visioning, the City of Topeka had several meetings to help develop a vision of what we want to be when we grow up.  The tough part is not the vision, but the reality of paying for the change.  How can people expect new and shinny things when we have old infrastructure that needs replaced?   One answer is the Federal Government.  That is the last place we should look.  I will promise you that any time you try to dip your payroll in the federal pot, you will be given a list of rules that will just boggle your mind.  Better to avoid that action.  

I am a firm believer in the Dave Ramsey money management program and will tell you that he and I neither would have you go out and generate a lot of loans to buy things.  Perhaps a house must be financed but only after it is fully priced out and understood.  The rest is best done with cash and out of pocket.  A clear understanding that outgo must in the long run be less than or equal to income.  That is like a golden rule to me and one that should be lesson one in life, school and churches.

Better go see what needs done here and let the world sort out its own problems.

MUD

No comments:

Post a Comment