9/17/2014

It Was a Hoot

Yesterday evening we had family and friends over for dinner.  Two of this group are young boys and they are so funny.  Barbara always entertains them by finding something they like to do.  They went out and picked fruit in the orchard.   While they were out, their mother discussed that she just doesn't understand life from their perspective.  The funny part is that I'm not sure if any mother really understand little boys.  I am pretty sure that the dad's do but they enjoy the antics of boys so much that they won't admit it.  "Tell them to stop that" is not what a Dad wants to hear.  If God didn't intend them to play with it, he wouldn't have made it so fun.  How do you be open and honest about things that gross you out? 

Yesterday I tried two different ways to grill chicken.  One bunch I used pineapple juice/soy sauce marinade and the other I had a Webber Garlic and Herbs marinade with olive oil.  Both ways were pretty darned good.  Again, if anyone went home hungry it was their own fault.  Barbara made a couple of pies and some great whipped cream.  She had worked hard to find sugar free ways to make great pies.  One of the new pies was one with apple butter as the main flavor ingredient. Yummy.  It reminded me of pumpkin pie with just a hint of something different.

I thought after 67 years there wouldn't be much new in my life.  Wrong.  Barb has discovered a new marshmallow that is flat and makes some wonderful S'mores.  A graham cracker, a flat marshmallow, a small chocolate bar and 22 seconds in the microwave  is just the ticket for a yummy warm treat.  Yes, I know there are some of you that want a campfire but not all of us want to get that warm just for a dessert.

Barbara saw a program the other day about turning cooked cauliflower into a treat with Buffalo Wing Sauce.  Seems that if you bake it with a little seasoned salt and olive oil it can be dipped into the wing sauce or ranch dressing and both are tasty.  Don't overcook the cauliflower and don't coat it all in wing sauce.  One of our guests said that she didn't ever think she would ask for seconds on Cauliflower.  I didn't ask, I just ate it until it was almost all gone. 

This year has been a wonderful year for watermelon here in the heartland.  I can't remember having one that wasn't just great.  The new melons that are seedless are just so easy to eat and they seem to taste better than the those big round Black Diamond melons tasted.  I will miss that taste this winter.

Yesterday I was at the grocery store and met a couple I served in the Military with.  I knew they were John and Theresa but I drew a blank on their last name.  I finally had to ask one of my other Military friends for a help.  They are the Gulls and great people.  I guess that old(er) age is wearing my brain out.  At least I could remember part of their names.  I hope that is not the future where the lights grow dimmer and the porch light is still on.  If that happens, I hope I stay happy like my mother.  I know what a sad old bitter person can be like. 

Again technology struck me right between the eyes.  This morning I opened my e-mails and right there on top of my in box was a couple advertisements and I deleted them.  Crap, my phone went into an update mode and it seems that I deleted over a month of e-mails.  I hate it when that happens.  It probably did just what I told it to do.  The good news is that it all went to the trash and we can restore it.  The good news/bad news is that anything there for more than 30 days goes to the great trash can in the sky and god only knows where it goes from there.

Does anyone out there have a good reference for using/restoring/copying things from the cloud?  I have a computer that can do a lot of things fast but I do need to know how to make those things happen.  Oh well...

MUD

No comments:

Post a Comment