9/06/2014

Makin' My Day

After another weird night, I am up early and att'em.   Not sure why, but here I am and now I have the decision to build an agenda for the rest of the day.  Let's see, there is always finishing the mowing I started a couple of days ago. It will have to wait until the grass gets dry.  The rain yesterday and the dew have it way damper than the mower will handle right now. I know there are apples that could be picked and a few Asian Pears that could be thinned out.  To fill in the moments between those tasks, there is always the trip to the grocery store.  The other day I went to the store but I wasn't inspired to really shop for a long grocery list.  I did pick up the makings for Beeroaks, bierocks or cabbage rolls (Pick one name).  Throw in a few snacks and that was it.  I am sure that we like candy corn but it is hardly a good weeklong menu.  Have you seen all the new candy corn flavors on the store shelves?

Next year I will have been out of High School 50 years.  The reunion committee has published a few posts on Facebook and man do they look old.  Makes me wonder if I want to go to the reunion to renew our friendship or to see just how old they all look.  Yes, I know that the mirror isn't my best friend.  I still walk into the bathroom and see my dad looking back at me.  Did I mention my father is dead and I don't look much better?

Selfie that the new phone took.
Speaking of pictures, one day on our trip my camera went to 5% power in one day and when I tried to download my E-Mail, the camera told me I was out of memory.  It made me wonder what the phone had been doing all day that I didn't know about.  I was browsing through the phone and saw that the picture gallery was almost full.  In fact there were over 2,000 pictures and they were all black.  It seems that the phone decided to activate the camera and take pictures of the inside of the phone case.  I moved the camera app off the main screen page and perhaps that will make that something that won't happen again. Perhaps when I learn to use this darned thing it will. Dang I hate it when my "Smart Phone" knows more than I do. 

We traveled this last month and used our credit card a lot.  On the bill we just got, there were two $49.95 charges and the wife asked me if I had a clue what they were.  There was a 1-800 number associated with both charges so I called them.  One told me that it was just after 5 PM and I needed to call back the next day.  The other number answered as "Customer Service."  I told them who I was and why I was calling.  When they looked up the charge they said the charge was for some kind of Dietary Supplement and both charges were from the same company.  I guess that just goes to show you that it pays to be very alert as to what appears on your credit card bills.  It was difficult to sort out the crap from the many charges.  I told them that we did not authorize the charges and would report them first to the Credit card holder and then to the Fraud Division of the KS Attorney General.  They assured they would back the charges out of my bill.  We'll see how that goes.  We might use our Debit card locally but when we travel we use only the Credit card so there is some protection.

While we were traveling, I had someone challenge me with the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.   Like Mike Row, from Dirty Jobs, I did not participate.  I had been working hard and at the end of the day, I was way too tired to want to pour anything cold on the outside of my body.  I almost didn't have the energy to pour anything cold on the inside.   Besides, I spent most of my life supporting all sorts of charities.  I think now that I am retired, it is someone else's turn.  I was a loaned executive for the Combined Federal Campaign (United Way for Federal Employees) for several years and I'm sure I helped them raise many thousand's of dollars.  I am sure that the girls scouts sent many girls to camp from the hundreds of packages of cookies we bought.  As a parent, I know how many fund raisers were passed through the life of our son.  Dang I hated that those chocolate bars were so danged good. There was also those cans of goodness for the Orchestra trip. 

Today is one of the first days of the start of Fall.  I went out to fetch the paper and it was just cool enough to need a jacket.  Here I was in a T-Shirt, shorts and the hawk was blowing cold air up my shorts.  My Goose Bumps had Goose Bumps.   It sure made my cuppa of hot coffee taste better but the warmth was appreciated. 

MUD

2 comments:

  1. Makes you wonder why the person that sold the phone to you, really sold it.

    I keep my checking and credit card accounts bookmarked in my computer and check them every day to make sure nobody else is using them. Any unauthorized charges can be caught in the "pending" stage and nipped in the bud before they get charged to your account. So far no unauthorized charges have appeared on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't convince Barb to let me put some accounts on line for fear they will be hacked. We'll see if the Credit card company get on board and removes them. Thanks for the heads up

    ReplyDelete