1/01/2016

First Post

This is actually somewhere near 921,000th post but who's counting.  It is the first of 2016.  While looking at the funny papers this morning, one of the cartoons was about the fact it is Leap Year.  Sure enough, Barb was looking at the calendar and there are going to be 29 days in February.   Do you call it setting your calendar back like you set the clocks back for daylight savings?  Who knows?

One of these times today, I will probably take the time to wash the stink off (My Dad's words from the Navy)   I will probably not put on a lot of fancy clothes, just the remnants from my Tractor Supply visits.  When we were in Oklahoma, I saw a hoodie sweatshirt with POLO on the front and Dillard's wanted $105 for it.  Needless to say I can get one a lot cheaper but it may say John Deere.

Speaking of deer, this morning I went out to fetch the paper and took our visiting dogs with me.  As soon as we cleared the garage, they spotted a heard of deer that were running west.  I could see the white tails flagging their way through the trees and a streak of brown and white as the dogs ran after them. I figured that it would be a long chase and didn't expect them to come right back in.   The deaf dog met me at the door and the other dog wasn't far behind.  Probably near the single digit level temp out there so they didn't want to spent hours out there.  Yesterday when it got above 40, they were glad to get out and hard to coral back inside.  A part of me wants to get a dog but parts of me realizes that taking care of one and arranging for kennel care when we travel is a lot of work.  Probably not something we really need.

Speaking of needing, today's Dear Abby talked about the 12 step program that AA uses.  (No, not the American Automobile Association, Alcoholics anonymous)  The point made was the lesson of living your life one day at a time.  The only thing is disagreed with in her post was that she says you should plan and live one day at a time.  I think you should learn how to plan and get out in front of your life to lessen the need for today to be the all consuming thing in your life.  I have managed to stay sober for many years by having that. Today I will not have a drink but, the urge is still there. 

The good news in our life is that we are the master of our money and not the slave to it.  I have enough money in the rental house account to refurbish it now that the renter is gone.  I know we have enough money to pay the income taxes when they are due, and to put a new coat of paint and a roof on the garages this year. 

A few years ago, we were faced with a pretty steep increase in the cost of our life insurance and that was when we compared the cost vs the need.  We have enough to bury either or both of us and to take care of the estate so we dropped the coverage.  It was worth the cost when we were younger and there would have been long term needs for money.  Now that we are in no danger of living longer than our money, we are just going au 'natural. 

When Dave and I were discussing why the oil in his car was all gunked up, he asked me if the dealership that fixed the fan belt had put real motor oil or synthetic oil in the engine?  Good question and not one I could answer.  I will tell you that in about 8,000 miles a combination of the two did not do well.  It is back now on a diet of regular oil and there is some lifter damage to cylinder number 4.  The bad news is that they want more money to put in a new engine than the car cost and a damn sure more than I want to pay.  The used engine they offered had 90,000 miles on it and the one in the car only has 88,000 miles.  Oh well, we will drive it until it can no longer get to Lawrence and back. 

This morning our guest is still in bed after celebrating New Year's eve with her relatives in Lawrence. Barb and I are up and attacking the day after being in bed early.  Well, Barb was up past midnight reading but I had conked out right after the football games ended.  Does it really surprise anyone that the number one and number two college team were the winners?  Not to me but it might have been fun to have Oklahoma in there for the final.   KU men's basketball team plays Baylor on Saturday and Oklahoma on Monday night.  Both games are at the Phog (Allen Field House) in Lawrence and we should be able to protect the winning ways there. For a bunch of years, Bill Self's teams have lost fewer games overall than we have ever lost on our turf.  Wish I could say that about the Men's Football team.

Oh well, better get things rolling and get a few things done.  I just heard the dogs barking outside so I will probably need to ensure they are not harassing the deer.  Oh Dear, the poor deer.


MUD

No comments:

Post a Comment