1/22/2016

Where is Your Focus?

If you read the free advice on Facebook (Well worth what it costs), they will give you about a hundred ways to find happiness.  Being a Dave Ramsey Fan, I get lots of free financial advice even if I really don't need it right now.  Others will tell you that you should focus on the future and others on the past.  Those that say the past don't remember the warts on their frogs. Those that say the focus should be on the future probably spend hours thinking about their lottery tickets and what they will do when they hit the lottery.  It is interesting to me that everyone is telling you to look somewhere else as if that sleight of thinking will really change your life. 

Once upon a time one of my nephews said to my mother that he was bored.  My mother looked him in the eye and said "No, you are boring."  There were about a jillion million things to do and he just didn't seem capable of finding what to do right then and there.   I will tell you that he is not boring and is a wonderful young man.

I guess there are times that I need to look back and think about all the fun things that happened and I need to plan forward to expand what I will do when tomorrow happens.  I don't feel bad that I haven't won the lottery or been inducted in the Hall of Fame.  I had a great life and there are a lot of things I feel really great about.  I will say that even though a lot of relay nice things have happened to me from a materialist standpoint, my real joys come from the memories of people.  I don't know if it is a failure or a blessing that I tend to forget stupid actions or stupid people.  I can tell stories for hours and find only a few minutes of bad stories in there because of the failings of others.

Lets see if I can sum this up in a few words.  Remember the good things in the past.  Live the  here and now, and plan for the future. 

There is an old saying that goes, "Do what you did and you will get what you got."  Don't be that person, especially if you want to pee on my shoulder and tell me it is raining.

MUD




No comments:

Post a Comment